Christmas is time of love, sharing and giving! But so often even gifts which we choose with our best intention are unwanted and unloved. Here are some statistic data we found about Australians Christmas shopping which is absolutely shocking!
- Women spend 20 hours, on average, shopping for Christmas presents.
- Total spending on a Christmas gifts hit $11 billion a year mark.
- Overall of 20 million unwanted gifts in 2021
- Only 1 in 10 people returns their gifts to the store.
- Australians use more than 150,000 km of wrapping paper during Christmas – enough to wrap around Earth’s equator nearly 4 times.
We love Christmas time. But more than that we love Planet Earth and we want to reduce impact of over consumption, plastic waste and products that go to landfill! If you are with us, here are couple of useful advises for your Eco-friendly Christmas!
- Gift love and attention instead of things. Cooking session, yoga classes, handmade gift or memorable experience together will be much more appreciated than ready-to-buy gift from massive retail shops.
- Do some Op-shopping! Thief shops have so many treasures inside – vintage ceramics, beautiful jewellery or rare book will be a very special Christmas gift! We, personally, love idea of giving new life to things and finding new home for unwanted and unused stuff from op shops.
- Reuse! Wrap your gifts with old newspapers and magazines, kids paintings, fabric scraps and tea towels. Wrapping paper produces heaps of waste and very often it cannot be recycled.
- Go digital! E-post cards instead of old school paper ones will save so many trees! Online gift vouchers instead of unwanted gifts! Let recipient choose perfect gift, right size and colour!
We wish you a Merry Sustainable Christmas and Happy Eco-Friendly New Year!